A not so girly-slushy Thai drink you see in some of the bars around. This Thai Basil and Watermelon Margarita is for the grown ups! Not so sweet, not so strong but very refreshing. A drink you can truly enjoy with your friends.
- 2 cups of 1-inch watermelon cubes
- 4 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec or Cointreau
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 ½ ounces Thai Basil Syrup
Directions for Thai Basil Syrup:
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus a few small sprigs to finish
- Place 1 cup of the watermelon chunks on a plate and freeze them.
- For the syrup, combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over moderate heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- When the syrup begins to boil remove it from the heat and stir in the basil leaves.
- Strain the syrup and discard the leaves.
- Cover and allow the syrup to steep for at least an hour.
- Blend 1 cup of the watermelon cubes, tequila, triple sec, basil syrup, and lime juice until smooth.
- Combine the sugar and salt on a small plate or saucer. Wipe the rim of each glass with a wedge of fresh lime, and dip it into the salt-sugar mixture to coat.
- Fill the glasses with the cup of frozen watermelon chunks or ice or a combination of the two and pour the margarita mixture over the top. Garnish with fresh watermelon, lime wedges, and fresh Thai basil springs.