Nam Tok Moo which means Waterfall Pork when translated in English, is the famous spicy sliced pork salad from the Northeast of Thailand. This dish may also be prepared with beef or chicken.
- Pork shoulder (or Chicken or Beef tenderloin) – 1 lb
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- White pepper – 1/2 tbs
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Lime juice – 1 lime
- Tamarind Paste – 1 tbs
- Sugar – 1/2 tbs
- Fish sauce – 1 tbs
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Roasted rice – 3 tbs
- Red chili pepper flakes – 1/4 tsp
- Mint leaves torn – 15 pcs
- Chopped Cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Sliced Scallions into thin rings – 1/4 cup
- Shallots, sliced thinly – 1/4 cup
Directions for Roasted Rice
- Put rice in a skillet and heat high.
- Stir rice constantly so the rice won’t burn.
- Wait until it turns a bit golden brown.
- Remove and grind into coarse powder.
- Put meat in a bowl, add soy sauce and pepper then marinate. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Grill meat until med-well done.
- Let sit to room temperature, then slice thinly against grain.
- Heat wok to high.
- Add sliced meat with 1/4 cup water, stirring continuously for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add rest of ingredients.
- Quickly toss to combine, and serve on plate.